Thursday, July 21, 2011

Living on the Subfloor in Style!

I have a disturbing habit of destroying the house whenever my husband leaves town for a few days.  Usually something gets demolished, cleaned, resurfaced, or just completely disappears.  This most recent trip of his was no exception.  Below are the before and after pictures of my living room!  I'll let you know exactly how to destroy your own house too!

I'd been threatening to rip out all of our carpets and just live on a painted subfloor for a couple of years now.  Flooring is very expensive, and there's always something more important to spend money on.  However, I have severe asthma, and I have critters running around the house- both the 2 legged and 4 legged types.  Although I broke down and purchased my own carpet cleaner (a wise decision, I still say), that carpet would just never come clean.  It ALWAYS smelled bad.  There had been cats in here before we moved in, and then of course my naughty dogs felt it their responsibility to cover up all those odors.  On top of that were all the normal kid spills, leaks, and goodness only knows what else.  It wasn't just the odors and stains either.  There was ALWAYS hair in the carpet.  I have a Roomba, a regular vacuum, and a shampooer, and I still never managed to get the pet hair out of the carpet.  My normal habit of folding laundry on the living room floor usually resulted in hairy clothes, despite my best efforts at cleaning.  Finally, I could take it no more!

THIS is why my carpet always stank!

 I started by peeling up a corner of the carpet to find out what was underneath.  CAUTION:  If you do get up the courage to peel up a corner of your carpet, you'll never go back!  There is so much filth under there, I promise you you won't want to live with it after that. 

I assumed our subfloor was particle board, but I was delighted to find that it was actually REAL plywood.  Good quality, sturdy stuff.  Yippee!  If your floor is particle board or chip board, I really recommend painting it rather than clear coating it.  It won't turn out all that pretty, and paint is much cheaper.  As the day of my husband's trip approached, I would sneak onto the computer and look up ideas, prices of materials, and equipment rentals.  One evening I kissed him goodbye after a sumptuous dinner at Burger King, went straight home, and by the time I went to bed that night I had ALL the carpet out of the living room. 

Stubbornly, late at night and all by myself, I pushed and shoved ALL of my furniture outside on the deck.  This was my week!  With Tony gone for a few days, I could stay up until obscene hours working, and for this week at least the weather promised to hold (although I found out later, the weather is a miserable liar, and all my furniture ended up under tarps by the time I was through).  The next step was actually peeling up the nasty carpet.  Let's pause here and take a look at some of the tools you'll need if you lose your mind and decide to copy me:

Box-cutter knife with SHARP blades
Flat End screwdriver
Claw Hammer
Pliers- Needlenose and curved (for prying staples)
Metal putty knife/scraper
Wood Filler (not drywall repair paste)
Hand sized sander (Electric orbital sander is ideal)
Good quality dust mask (very important!)
Gloves optional but not a bad idea
Broom and shop vac
BIG dust bin!
Somewhere else to sleep.  We stayed in our RV.  You definitely don't want to be sleeping in the house with the fumes.
Some entertainment!  Big necessity here, especially if you, like me, do your best work late at night when the kids are sleeping.  I had my TV and dvd player rotating around the house with me, and I found a new favorite movie!  I watched it more times than I can count. *sigh*  http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/northandsouth/


Cut the carpet into strips of no more than 3' wide






And here we are, a real plywood subfloor, with all the staples still in it

Rock the pliers to create leverage to pull the tough staples


Using a flat end screwdriver, place your hammer underneath to create leverage to pull up the tack strips.



Once I got all the carpet and staples out, I rented a commercial floor sander.  The $40 rental was WELL worth the expense.  You absolutely MUST sand the floor, even if you're planning on painting it rather than clear coating it like I did.  The unfinished wood fibers will make the floor uncomfortable to walk on in bare feet no matter how much paint or stain you slap on top of it.  A floor sander is not any more difficult to operate than a lawn mower, and much easier on the knees than using a little orbital sander the whole time.
A commercial drum style floor sander with 60 grit paper REALLY stips the impurities off your floor!
Note the filler in the low spots.
 I did not fine-sand the floor after this.  I suppose I could have, but to be realistic, I was short on time, and honestly, this is still just a plywood floor.  My finished floor actually has some wood-grain texture left to it, an effect I've been starting to notice in the nice wood-look flooring on the market.  The next thing I did was to add some artistic stencils.  The stencils really dressed up the floor, and drew your eye away from all the major flaws.  It kind of makes the existing imperfections look like they're supposed to be there.  I just found a design I liked at the local craft store and went with it.  It's a 2 layer design, and I alternated layers, and in a few places I used both layers to make a more detailed effect.  I did a circular design to go under the dining room table, and a "V" shaped design in my living room.




After the stenciling was dry, I started to clear-coat the floor.  I did NOT purchase $50/gallon commercial floor sealer.  I didn't feel it was worth having professional grade floor sealant on a plywood floor.  I used a furniture grade clear sealant on the first 3 coats- which were rapidly soaked up by the soft floor.  For the top coat I did use a commercial grade sealer, which I was lucky enough to find on a closeout sale.  Tip- you MUST sand between coats, or the sealer will not stick properly to the previous coat.  The orbital sander will work great for this, you just need to lightly rough it up and smooth the wood fibers.

The floor area I worked on was approximately 600 square feet.  On average between all 4 coats, expect to use about a gallon for every coat for 5-600 square feet.  The first 2 coats will soak in quickly and you'll use a lot, but by the time you're on coat #4, it will be a breeze.  Be prepared for each coat to take a little longer to dry, as it is no longer soaking into the floor.



Cost Breakdown of entire project (rounded)

Floor Sander Rental $48 (including 3 sheets of paper used)

Razor Blades $3
Brown stenciling paint $20/gallon (although I only used 1 quart)
Wood crack filler $4

Floor Stencil $10.50
Stenciling Roller $6

3 gallons DEFT Clear Wood Finish Satin $26 each
1 gallon Zinsser Professional Wood finish Semigloss (Closeout price) $15
4" Paint Brush $9
220 Grit Sandpaper for Orbital sander $6


Materials Total: $199.50

Hours invested:  About 40 (working on my own)

Carpet Disposal Cost (unknown at this point)



The Final Verdict

I am very, very pleased with my new floors!  They are beautiful, smooth, unique, inviting, and best of all, they are CLEAN!  I can actually sweep my house and it is clean.  Aaaahhhh.  Everyone who has seen them has also given good reviews, even my hubby!  He probably fears giving the wrong answer on that one though.  I have had a few scratches already from the dog's toenails, which we'll have to start keeping trimmed.  Fortunately, touchups are a cinch.  Just brush it with a little sandpaper, then blend a little more sealant over the top.  I have about a quart left for touchups.  Go for it!


  

2 comments:

  1. Update: 5 years later. We are still living on the floors just like this. I bought commercial floor wax that I spiff them up with once in a while. They really could use another coat of finish, but we sold the house and are moving out, so... I will miss you, my pretty floors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Looks great! Best wishes for much happiness in your new home!

    ReplyDelete